To follow my 20 mile run this past week, the weekly long run this week went down to 10 miles. Instead of that, I decided to sign up for the Park to Park Half Marathon in Waterloo. I was supposed to run this race last year, but my surgery prevented that from happening. I have heard a lot of good things about the race, so I wanted to give it a try. It was a great morning for a race. It was a little chilly at the start, but warmed up enough during the race to make it almost perfect race weather. The course was flat. I am really glad I decided to do this race. I felt great throughout the whole race and got back to a time that I want to be at. It gave me a much needed confidence boost. I have been getting frustrated with some of my runs lately, but yesterday really helped out.
That should be my last race until the big one in October. It is just a little more than a month away. This next weekend is a 12 mile run and then the next week is the other 20 mile run. I am looking forward to doing the rest of the runs with other Team in Training members. Because of the craziness of summer and other races, I have not been to a group run in quite some time. The groups runs really help me to push myself, so it should be a good way to round out my training.
Also, when I got back to Des Moines, I had the opportunity to work at the Miracle League Field with the Kiwanis. I encourage you to check it out. It is an awesome opportunity for children with special needs to play baseball. I had to miss most of the Iowa, Iowa State game, but it was well worth it. It was awesome to see the joy on those kids face when they hit the ball and started down the basepath. They are also building a new Miracle League Park in Ankeny and break ground on September 26th. I am hoping to get more involved with the Miracle League.
Also, after some conversation with the guys I did the Hy Vee Tri with, we have decided that we are going to try to get signed up for an Ironman in 2013. We had some fellow Love Shackers do one in Wisconsin today and they have been our inspiration. I watched Steve cross the finish line online and am currently watching to see Ellen cross. I am very proud of my teammates. They have worked really hard for this day. I am looking forward to start my training for that after my marathon.
Thanks to everyone following my blog. Keep up the prayers for the ones who need it.
Make this coming week a great one.
No comments:
Post a Comment